Visas: Do I need a visa to study in Canada?

Visado Canadá

Are you going to take a language course in Canada? We know that collecting all the info and knowing exactly what documentation is needed is not easy work. That’s why, from Ynsitu,we bring you everything you need for your visa.

There are two types of visas: Tourist and Student.

As for the tourist visa:

It is indicated to take a short language course (with a maximum of 6 months) or simply to visit the country. Please note that the maximum stay in the country on this visa is 6 months.

Depending on your nationality you can access one type of visa or another:

    • eTa (Electronic Travel Authorization):
        • It costs 7 CAD.
        • It is requested via the internet.
        • You can get it in a few minutes, although sometimes it can take a few days.
        • It can be requested by citizens from 46 countries, almost all EU members (including Spain, Chile and Mexico).
        • To find out if you can only travel with an eTa visa or need a formal visa, please see here..
    • Visitor Visa (TRV – Temporary Resident Visas)
        • It costs 100 CAD.
        • For countries such as Argentina, Peru, Colombia and Costa Rica, a temporary visitor visa is requested that allows stays of up to 6 months in the country.
        • For Colombian citizens, one of the requirements is the presentation of biometric tests.
        • For more information about this visa see here.

With regard to the student visa:

It is necessary if you want to take a language course longer than 6 months. We recommend that you manage it at least 8 weeks before the start of the course, as the visa processing time depends on the country and is indicative.

The requirements to obtain this visa depend on the nationality of each student. Some of them are:

    • Be enrolled in a course from an official and accredited school (all our schools meet this requirement).
    • Demonstration of economic solvency. In the event that you are not the person who finances you during the trip you will have to deliver a letter written by the person who is responsible for you financially during the trip. (The amount will be approximately CAD 833 per month).
    • Confirmation of the enrollment issued by the school where you will take your course in Canada (this letter will be sent once the full payment of the course has been made).
    • 3 recent passport photos
    • Payment of visa fees corresponding to 150 CAD.

When taking a language course with a student visa it is not possible to work in Canada. In case you want your partner to accompany you on this adventure, you can travel to Canada as a visitor linked to your StudyPermit, but it won’t be possible for them to work either.

We look forward to helping you! For more information and updates, see the official website.

Leave a Reply