Visas for traveling to the United Kingdom

Are you going to take a language course in the United Kingdom?

Take note, here we explain the visa you need according to your stay.

If you belong to one of the countries of the EEA (European Economic Area) countries and you are going to make a trip to the United Kingdom, you will only need your ID or the valid national identity document to access the country and work.

In the event that you take a course for less than 24 weeks, some Latin American countries such as Mexico do not need a visa, with a passport it is sufficient to enter the country.

Some countries require a visa to access the UK, the government works in partnership with the UK Border Agency for visa management.

As is the case in all countries, not all of them have the same visa agreements, nor do they all need them, so remember that you must inform before.


  • TOURIST VISA (General Visitor Visa)

To apply for your tourist visa you will need:

    • A visa application form.
    • A passport size photo
    • A valid passport with a blank page and a minimum of 6 months validity.
    • Evidence of financial solvency during your stay, can be from bank statements or payrolls from the last 6 months, etc. DYou must prove for each month of stay GBP 1020 if you go to London or GBP 820 if you go outside London.
    • Document proving that you have accommodation during your stay.
    • Money to be able to pay for your visa.

Remember that all these documents must be delivered in English. The cost of this visa is GBP 133.

The procedures usually take between 1 and 10 business days. But you should do it in plenty of time as if the requests are forwarded by the UK Home Office it can take up to 13 weeks. You can also apply to the Short TermStudy Visa extended which allows you to be in the UK for up to 11 months and this has a cost of GBP 255.


  • STUDENT VISA (General Student Visa)

This visa is indicated for stays longer than 24 weeks. This procedure must be done directly at the embassy. You are not allowed to work in the UK with this type of visa if you are taking a language course.

For your request you will need:

    • Passport valid for a minimum of 6 months with a clean sheet on one side.
    • 2 marked passport photos.
    • Documents that prove your financial solvency.
    • School registration, after payment of the course.
    • In the event that you are younger, authorization from your legal guardian.

Regarding the Economic Solvency for the General Student Visa (Tier 4), you must demonstrate for each month of stay GBP 1265 if you go to London or GBP 1015 if you go outside London. You can demonstrate financial solvency through a savings or checking account, where the money must be consecutively for 28 days before requesting the appointment online, or through a credit in the student’s name. For the General Student Visa (Tier 4) your sponsor can be your parents or wife / husband exclusively.


In the following link you can see if you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom, the type of visa required and the procedures to be carried out: