Visas for traveling to Canada

Are you going to take a language course in Canada?

Take note, here we explain the visa you need according to your stay.


The tourist visa is the one indicated for either a short language course (with a maximum of 6 months) or if you simply intend to visit the country. Remember that the maximum stay you can be in the country with this visa is 6 months.

Depending on your nationality, you can access one type of visa or another:

    • eTa (Electronic Travel Authorization)

This type of visa has a cost of 7 CAD, it is requested through the internet and in just a few minutes you can obtain it, although sometimes it can take a few days.

Currently citizens of 46 countries, almost all members of the EU (including Spain, Chile and Mexico) can apply for this visa.

To find out if you can only travel with an eTa visa or need a formal visa, see .

    • Visitor visa (TRV – Temporary Resident Visas)

For the rest of the countries, such as Argentina, Peru, Colombia and Costa Rica, it would be understood that applying for a temporary visitor visa that would allow stays of up to 6 months in the country.

For Colombian citizens, one of the requirements is the presentation of biometric tests.

The price of this visa is 100 CAD.

For more information about this visa see the following link.



If you want to take a language course longer than 6 months, you will need to apply for a student visa.

The requirements to obtain this visa depend on the nationality of each student. Some of them are:

    • Be enrolled in a course from an official and accredited school (all our schools meet this requirement).
    • Demonstration of economic solvency. Proof that you have enough money to pay for your trip to Canada. In the event that you are not the person who finances you during the trip you will have to deliver a letter written by the person who is responsible for you financially during the trip. (The amount will be approximately CAD 833 per month).
    • Confirmation of the registration issued by the school where you will take your course in Canada (this letter will be sent once the full payment of the course has been made).
    • 3 recent passport photos
    • Payment of visa fees corresponding to 150 CAD.

When taking a language course in Canada with a student visa it is not possible to work in Canada.

From Ynsitu we recommend managing this visa at least 8 weeks before the start of the course, since the visa processing time depends on the country and is indicative.

In the event that you want your partner to accompany you on this adventure it is possible, you can travel to Canada like traveling as a visitor linked to your StudyPermit. It will not be possible to work in the country.

In the East link You can check if you need a visa to travel to Canada, the type of visa required and the procedures to be carried out.