Visas: Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

Necesito un visado para estudiar en Reino Unido

Are you going to take a language course in the UK? We know that collecting all the info and knowing exactly what documentation is needed is not an easy work. That’s why, from Ynsitu, we bring you everything you need for your visa.

  • If you belong to a country in the European Economic Area, you will only need your ID or national IDENTITY card in force.
  • If your course lasts less than 24 weeks, in some Latin American countries, it is not necessary to obtain a visa, being enough having passport.

The government works in partnership with the UK Border Agency for visa management.

There are two types of visas: Tourist (General Visitor Visa) and student (General Student Visa). The latter is designed for stays longer than 24 weeks.

To apply for your tourist visa you will need:

    • A visa application form.
    • A passport size photo
    • A valid passport with a blank page and a minimum of 6 months validity.
    • Evidence of financial solvency during your stay, can be from bank statements or payrolls from the last 6 months, etc. You will have to prove for each month of your stay 1020 If you go to London or 820 euros if you go outside of London.
    • Document proving that you have an accommodation during your stay.
    • Enogh money to be able to pay for your visa.

The cost of the visa is 133 euros and you will need to submit the documentation in English. The paperwork usually takes between 1 and 10 business days, but remember to do so in enough time, as if you refer to the UK Ministry of the Interior, it can take up to 13 weeks. You can apply to the Short TermStudy Extended Visa, which allows you to be in the UK for up to 11 months, for 255£.

To apply for your student visa you will need:

    • 2 marked passport photos.
    • Passport valid for a minimum of 6 months with a clean sheet on one side.
    • Documents that prove your financial solvency.
    • School registration, after payment of the course.
    • In the event that you are younger, authorization from your legal guardian.

The procedure for this visa must be done directly at the embassy. If you are taking a language course with this visa, you are not allowed to work in the UK.

You’ll need to prove economic solvency, through a checking or savings account, in which each month you must have $1265£ if you go to London or $1015£ if you’re out of London. Money must be consecutively 28 days before requesting the appointment online, or through a credit in the student’s name. Your sponsor can only be your parents or your wife/husband.

We look forward to helping you from Ynsitu! For more information and updates, see the official website.

Leave a Reply