Visas: Do I need a visa to study in South Africa?

Are you going to take an English course in South Africa? We know that collecting all the info and knowing exactly what documentation is needed is not an easy work. That’s why, from Ynsitu, we bring you everything you need for your visa.

Most of the citizens of the European Union and the UNITED States don’t need a visa to travel to South Africa. You can get a free tourist permit for stays of 90 days if the passport:

  • It is valid for at least 30 days after the end of the visit.
  • It has at least two blank pages,not counting the last two.
  • It has a minimum validity of 6 months.

If you are not able to obtain a tourist permit you must obtain a visa at the South African embassy or consulate in your home country or in a nearby one.

There are two types of visas: Tourist and Student.

As for the tourist visa:

  • It lasts from 3 months expandable to 3 more.
  • You must be 18 years of age or older to apply.
  • You can take an English course in South Africa for up to 6 months.
  • You can’t work.
  • You must show the round-trip tickets when requesting it.

It is advisable to get one of multiple entrances if you decide to visit some neighboring country, as this will prevent you from having to get another one to enter South Africa again.

With regard to the student visa:

  • You can study and work in South Africa. It allows you to work 20 hours a week and includes 30 extra days of holidays at the end of your course.
  • The duration is determined by the length of the course, being a minimum of 4 months (16 weeks).
  • You must have health insurance during your stay in South Africa.
  • You must prove that you have sufficient money to support yourself during your stay in the country.
  • You have to present the letter of acceptance from the school where you are going to take your course, which is obtained once you have made the full payment of this.

South Africa, unlike other countries, will ask you for a vaccination certificate and criminal record from all countries where you have lived for more than a year.

We look forward to helping you from Ynsitu! For more information and updates, visit the official website.

Leave a Reply