Visas: Do I need a visa to study in Italy?

Visado para estudiar en Italia

Are you going to take a language course in Italy? We know that collecting all the info and knowing exactly what documentation is needed is not an easy work. That’s why, from Ynsitu, we bring you everything you need for your visa.

  • If you belong to a country in the European Economic Area, you will only need your ID or national identity card in force.
  • Most Latin American countries do not need a specific visa to enter Italy if the length of your stay is up to 90 days, in this case, travelling with a valid passport is enough. If you are going to stay in the country longer, you will need to process a visa.

There are two types of visas: Tourist and Student.

In case you need a tourist visa you must have:

    • A valid passport for at least three months after your date of returning from Europe.
    • The tourist visa issued by the Italian consulate in your origin country.
    • Don’t appear on the “non-admission” list of the European community.
    • Demonstrate sufficient financial to support you during your stay (through cash, policies, bank guarantee, credit cards…). The amount of money required depends on the length of your stay:
      • From 1 to 5 days: If you travel alone, you will have to prove 269 euros. In the event that you are going 2 or more people, it would be 212.81 euros.
      • From 6 to 10 days: 44.93o daily (alone) or 26.33o daily per person (2 or more).
      • From 11 to 20 days: 51.64 euros fixed and 36.67 euros per day (alone) or 25.82 euros fixed and 22.21 euros per day (2 or more).
      • Between 20 and 90 days: 206.58 euros fixed plus 27.89 euros per day (alone) or 118.79 euros and 17.04 euros per day (2 or more).
      • You have to show that you have accommodation in Italy, you must show a hotel reservation, invitation letter from an Italian person or the so-called accommodation letter of the school where you will take your course.
      • Medical insurance for your stay.
      • Round trip air tickets.

Regarding the student visa:

You will need it if you have decided to take a language course in Italy for more than 90 days and you are not a citizen of a Member State of the European Union. This visa dont’t let you to work in the country. 

To apply for this visa, you will need:

    • The application form for your visa.
    • Passport lasting at least three months longer than your stay in Italy lasts, with two white pages of the passport.
    • A passport-sized photograph.
    • A statement of funds. In this case, you must have at least €910 per month.
    • Certificate of health insurance covering emergency and hospitalization expenses. It needs to be valid internationally or at least in the country. You can buy it in your country of origin or in Italy, but it is essential that you have it in order to apply for the visa.
    • Proof of payment of the course, issued by the institute where the studies will be carried out.
    • Letter of admission by the institution stating that you were selected to take the course in which you enrolled.
    • Proof of accommodation during the stay, either by rental contract with the identification of the owners attached or a declaration of hospitality signed by a person of Italian nationality.
    • Airline ticket back to your country of origin after finishing your course.
    • Declaration of enough financial disposition for an eventual return to your country.

If your stay in the country is longer than three months, then you will also need a Residence Permition:

  • Request must be made within the first 8 business days after your arrival. You will have to go to the post office of the place where you are going to reside and look for the Sportello Amico.
  • Residence Permition gives you some extra benefits, apart from residing in the country, for the duration of your course:
    • Work permition for the duration of your course. You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week.
    • Being able to leave Italy for a period not exceeding 6 months.

We hope Ynsitu will help you! For more information and updates, see the official website.

Leave a Reply