Many people who are interested in receiving English classes ask about the differences between normal English and business English or Business English. In fact, some mistakenly enroll in general English courses when they need business English for their jobs. Others, on the other hand, enroll directly in business English without having a good base of general English.
What is Business English?
For the British Council, business English is a specialty within the English language that allows professionals around the world to acquire the skills they need to communicate within the professional sphere. It is unique and common to all, and has no variants.
If international English or globish is a kind of standard for facilitating communication between people who do not have this language as maternal, business English is a variant of that standard.
Differences between normal English and business English
– Although in the Spanish language we have the concept of language registration, itis not exactly the same. Language registration appeals to a person’s ability to adapt to circumstances at the language level. It is certainly necessary for the individual to master the jargon of the discipline concerned, but it is an intuitive and subjective process. Business English is more systematized and structured.
– Strictly formal tone versus colloquial tone.
– Business English conversations are strictly formal. The intention is to minimize the inconvenience caused by misunderstandings due to cultural differences between individuals from different backgrounds.
– For their part, conversations in normal English are focused on regular communication and a more colloquial tone. There’s not as much concern about possible misunderstandings.
– Simple and direct communication against a more lax style.
– The business English communication style seeks efficiency and not to get lost in semantic ramblings. For this reason, it adopts a concise and direct style.
– Normal English lacks that need to simplify. Being concise and clear becomes a subjective choice of each partner.
– Vocabulary and specialized expressions against a broad vocabulary and phrases made.
– Business English requires you to learn a specific vocabulary and expressions applied to the professional universe. They are concrete terms of the worlds of finance, marketing,commerce, etc.
– General English is very rich in vocabulary and phrases made. The difference lies in the application contexts. In this case, although they could be categorized into more popular cultisms and terms, they are not specific to a professional environment.
The importance of interculturality in business English
Globalization makes it possible for companies to work or negotiate with suppliers, customers or related companies in other countries. The success of these relationships depends to a large extent on establishing trust links. Knowledge of the customs and social conventions of these countries is essential to achieving them.
On the other hand, companies, with a growing tendency to cross the borders of the countries where they were created, form intercultural work teams. It helps a lot to direct these teams with knowledge of the label on which the members of the working group have been educated.
In addition, a basic knowledge of body language plays an important role in the training of a high-level professional and is also cared for in learning business English.
In the learning of general English, knowledge of conventions is not essential. Once again it is left to the choice of each person.
Different extra-finished methodologies
When learning any language, the extra activities you are able to perform play a valuable role. We usually recommend that our general English students watch movies they like in the original version or try to learn the lyrics of songs from their favorite groups. Even those who start, we recommend that you watch cartoons aimed at the little ones. Another tip is to go talk in English with other native students.
The extra-finished recommendations for business English are different. Here we advise you to read English books aimed at executives and follow the specialized media in the business world. Attending certain professional events in English gives you an opportunity to let go and gain confidence.
The best way to learn a language
At Ynsitu we know that the best way to learn a language is to travel to places where it is spoken. In this way you are presented with many different opportunities and circumstances in which to practice it and manage to overcome your initial barriers. On the other hand, it gives you the opportunity to get to know other cities and cultures that enrich your personal background. This is a very useful quality and valued by companies. So don’t miss out on our
general English courses and English business courses abroad to stand out from the rest.