Visas: Do I need a visa to study in the US?

Visado EEUU

Are you going to take a language course in the USA? We know that collecting all the info and knowing exactly what documentation is needed is not easy work. That’s why, from Ynsitu,we bring you everything you need for your visa.

If you belong to one of the 38 countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Program, (Spain and Chile included), and you will remain in the United States for up to 90 days, with the processing of the EsTa visa is sufficient (Electronic System for Travel Authorization):

    • The procedure is carried out within a maximum period of 48 hours.
    • It is valid for stays of up to 90 days.
    • You need a valid passport to enter the country.
    • It is not allowed to make changes of status when you enter the USA and it is valid for 2 years from the expedition.
    • You can make the trip for tourist, business, medical, or even transit to another country.
    • You can take a language course of up to 18 hours per week.

As for the tourist visa:

In the event that your nationality is not among the 38 countries that are visa-free, such as Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Guatemala, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Uruguay, or other Latin American countries, then you will need to process a B2 tourist visa. It allows you to study a course of up to 18 hours per week for a maximum duration of 6 months.

To apply for this visa you will need:

    • A valid passport at the time of entering the country
    • The application form for your DS-160 Visawhich is filled out via the Internet and the day you have your appointment at the embassy you must have it printed on it.
    • Recent color photography, size 5×5 cm with face and head uncovered allowing to see the ears and white background.
    • It is also recommended to bring documents proving that you have economic solvency in your country of origin such as bank statements, income statement, rental agreement,… and certificates of study or diplomas.

With regard to the F-1 student visa:

You must request it if:

  • You belong to one of the 38 countries and want to take a course of more than 18 hours per week or longer than 90 days.
  • You do not belong to one of these countries and you will take a course of more intensity than the 18 hours per week or you will be in the country more than 6 months.

Remember that this visa does not allow you to work in the USA.

The procedures and requirements vary from country to country but generally to apply for this visa you will need:

    • Valid passport.
    • DS-160 Visa application form, obtained through the Internet.
    • Recent color photograph of size 5×5 cm with face and head uncovered letting the ears be seen.
    • Form I-20. Called Student Status Elegillibility Certificate (this form is provided to you by the school from the United States).
    • SEVIS payment receipt (price 350 $)
    • Documents demonstrating your economic solvency (bank statements, income statement, rental agreement,…)
    • Certificate of employment, studies, family ties… This is necessary to show that you are going back to your home country and that you will not remain indefinitely in the United States.

Your family members as a spouse or child may accompany you by linking an F2 visa to that of the primary student. A copy of a marriage and/or birth certificate will be required, as the case may be. They will need to fill out their own DS-160 forms and get their own I-20 form and neither will they be able to work in the US. If they’re only going to visit you, a B2 tourist visa is enough.

We look forward to helping you! For more information and updates, click here.

Leave a Reply