Visas: Do I need a visa to study in Ireland?

Are you going to take an English course in Ireland? We know that collecting all the info and knowing exactly what documentation is needed is not easy work. That’s why, from Ynsitu, we bring you everything you need for your visa.

  • If you belong to a country in the European EconomicArea, you will only need your ID or national identity card in force.
  • If you are a U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa citizen, you will not need a visa if your stay is less than 90 days, your passport will suffice. However, if you are South African and wish to travel to Northern Ireland you will need a UK visa.

There are two types of visas: Tourist (General Visitor Visa) and student (General Student Visa).

As for the TOURIST VISA in Ireland, there are 2 types:

  • Type C visa (stay up to 90 days)
  • Type D visa (stay longer than 90 days)

You can select whether your visa allows a single entry into the country for 77 euros, or multiple tickets for 127 euros.

To apply for your Tourist visa you will need:

  • A photocopy of your passport in color, valid for at least 6 months, depending on the period in which you will be in Ireland.
  • 2 passport photos.
  • Letter of application explaining why you travel to the country, whether you have family in Ireland or the EU, how long you plan, if you have sufficient economic capacity to stay during this time in the country and that you commit to return to your home country once your visa expires.
  • If you have previously been denied a visa to access another country, you must indicate it and attach this document. If you hide this information, you may be refused an Irish visa.
  • Letter of acceptance from the school where you will take your language course.
  • Proof of full payment for the course.
  • Confirmation of the reservation of your accommodation in which you will reside during your stay in Ireland.
  • Bank statements from the last 6 months that ensure that you have enough money to reside in Ireland for the duration of your stay.
  • Have international insurance, being mandatory for stays longer than 90 days and recommended for those of shorter duration.
  • If you have a job in your home country, you will need to present a work certificate that supports the period of your absence, indicating how long you have been working there, the dates of your vacation and the payroll dates of the last 3 months.
  • If you are a student, you will have to present a certificate of study indicating that you have postponed the semester, indicating what semester you are in, how long it takes for you to graduate and that you will return to study on your return.
  • You must also give details of your family: birth certificate, marriage, if you have children under the age…

As regards evidence of economic resources::

You will need to prove that you have at your disposal, you or the person who finances you, 7000 euros to make an academic year, or 500 euros per month or 3000 euros for the 6 months, in the event that your course is equal to or less than 6 months. If you are not the one funding your trip, you must attach a letter of responsibility for that authenticated person’s expenses, with your birth registration and work and financial guarantees.

It is advisable to include annexes to other documents demonstrating economic solvency such as income declaration.

With regard to the STUDENT VISA:

  • It is for stays longer than 90 days for those countries that do not belong to the EEU or EEA.
  • It is not accessible to all countries, so you will need to inform yourself here.

If you want to obtain a Stamp 2 visa, which allows you to work within the country, your English course will have to be 25 weeks of 15/20 hours per week of class or higher education. You will be able to work 20 hours a week during the school period and 40 hours per week in the months of June to September and from December 15 to January 15. This visa will be granted for 8 months and can be processed once you are already in the country. You will need the following documents:

  • Bring your appointment online Printed. We recommend requesting it before making your trip.
  • Passport (with the same characteristics as on the tourist visa)
  • Mandatory insurance policy
  • Acceptance letter from the school.
  • Debit card with a minimum of € 300 to pay for the visa.

With regard to economic resource testing, youmusthave:

  • An Irish statement with a last balance equivalent to 3,000 euros. They are only accepted in Dublin, so if you study in any other city you will have to process the Irish bank account.
  • A card from a bank in your country in your name and with the original statements of the last 3 months, with the bank stamp and where your name is visible.

Once you have completed your visa procedures, your passport will be stamped with the visa and you will be given a card with all your details, type of visa and visa expiration date. It is very important to always carry this card with you, especially if you make a trip outside Ireland, and try not to miss it so as not to pay 300 euros again.

You’ll need to make a minimum of 85% class attendance, because if you can’t get your expulsion from school and notify the GNBI to even deport.

Finally, with regard to holidays, each school is different. If you take a 25-week course you can have 8 weeks of vacation:

  • To qualify for 4 weeks of vacation in a row, you will have to have completed at least one third of your course.
  • To qualify for 8 weeks of vacation in a row, you will need to have completely completed your course.

Don’t forget that by immigration laws you will have to notify the school, before applying for the visa, at what time you have decided to take your vacation.

We look forward to helping you! For more information and updates on visas, please refer to the official website.

Leave a Reply