Visas: Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

Visado estudiar Australia

Are you going to take a language course in Australia? We know that collecting all the info and knowing exactly what documentation is needed is not easy work. That’s why, from Ynsitu, we bring you everything you need for your visa.

There are two types of visas: Tourist and Student:

As for the tourist visa:

  • It’s the one if you’re going to spend a short season in Australia.
  • All countries can apply.
  • There is no need to prove a minimum level of English.
  • It is not possible to work, but it is possible to take a language course lasting less than 3 months.
  • There are two types of tourist visa:
    • eVisitor Visa (651): free and allows you to stay up to 3 months
    • Visitor Tourist Visa (600): Costs between AUD $140 and AUD $1020 and allows you to stay up to a maximum of 12 months in the country.

With regard to the student visa:

  • The price of the visa is $ 620 AUD.
  • You need to be enrolled in a course of at least 12 weeks (which would be equivalent to 3 months).
  • You will be able to work part-time, up to 20 hours per week during the study period and up to 40 hours in the holiday period, which will allow you to pay for your stay.
  • It is in force during your course plus an extra time that varies depending on the duration of the course.
  • It has no age limit.
  • There is no need to prove a minimum level of English, as you will take a course called ELICOS.

In addition, it is possible to attach your partner to the student visa allowing them to work part-time even if they do not take any type of course:

  • The application is made through the Australian Immigration Department and you must be enrolled in an accredited course with confirmation of the COE code, which is achieved in the enrolment process of the school where you decide to study.
  • The requirements for obtaining them vary by nationality. Visa conditions are not the same for both members, but the application process is similar. It must be done through the Australian Immigration Department..
  • To apply for your partner’s membership in your student visa, proof must be provided that your relationship is real, strong and stable with a minimum temporary duration, being easier if you are married. An example of this may be joint bank accounts, documents that justify you living together or sharing some good, affidavits from friends, family, travel photos…
  • You may both work, but not full-time. The main student or applicant may work part-time during the course (20 hours per week) and full-time during vacation periods (40 hours per week). The couple will be able to work only part-time and will be able to study for up to 3 months.

We hope Ynsitu will help you! For more information and updates, see the official website.

Leave a Reply